New Caledonian Wharf lies adjacent to the Greenland Dock, the oldest of London's docks. It was formerly known as Howland's Great Wet Dock, which was built in 1695 and had 10 acres of water. The dock was associated with the whaling trade and re-named Greenland Dock in 1763.
In the mid 1980s New Caledonian Wharf was converted into apartments from the industrial building that originally occupied the site, and the flats were sold on long leases during 1987 and 1988. The freehold is retained by Copartnership Developments Ltd, who collect the ground rent. Day to day management of the development is carried out by Caledonian Residents Management Ltd, a management company owned by the long leaseholders of the building.
For a history of Greenland Dock, click here
For a history of Surrey Quays, click here
For a history of Rotherhithe, click here
For a history of the Thames, click here